Intel Single Board Computers for Small to Mid-Size ISR Applications
January 08, 2015 | BY: Aaron FrankDownload PDF
A movement to deploy ISR capabilities at all levels of the tactical battlefield is driving demand for processing systems that are small, rugged and cost-effective. This white paper will discuss how Single Board Computers based on the latest multi-core Intel processors can meet that need, with the additional advantages of flexibility and a broad base of software support.
ISR Expands Across the Battlefield
A growing trend on the electronic battlefield is the migration of sophisticated ISR applications to positions closer to the warfighter. The radar, signals intelligence and EO/IR (Electro Optical/Infrared) capabilities that were initially deployed on a few large platforms, and used by theater-level operations, are now required in some form or other across the battlefield. The new generation of ISR systems is being deployed across a wide range of platforms and operating within a flexible system-of-systems implementation model.
System designers face multiple challenges as they build this new generation of ISR systems. The systems need to be:
- Able to support sophisticated applications with very high throughput, low latency processing
- Fielded rapidly, which means systems that are easily configured and tested, re-using existing application software whenever possible
- Cost effective, with many units potentially deployed for some programs
- Physically smaller, so they can be easily deployed in smaller lightweight platforms
- Capable of efficient communications for command and control as well as for the transmission of sensor-generated information