Curtiss-Wright Demonstrates Fully Integrated Next Generation Flight Test System Solutions Featuring Axon DAU
COTS FTI system demo showcases "networked from ground to air" Ethernet-based data acquisition system with support for next-gen standards including Chapter 7 and iNET
INTERNATIONAL TELEMETERING CONFERENCE (ITC), GLENDALE, Ariz. (Booth #101) – November 6, 2018 – Curtiss-Wright’s Defense Solutions division today announced that its Aerospace Instrumentation (AI) business unit will present a live demonstration of a fully integrated next-generation system-level flight test instrumentation (FTI) solution using current data acquisition technology in their booth (#101) at the 2018 ITC Conference. The “Networked from Ground to Air” demo features Curtiss-Wright’s industry-leading airborne data acquisition system (DAS), one of the most extensive, flexible, and widely installed FTI product families in the world. Supporting emerging new standards with Chapter 7 and iNET components, the high-speed Ethernet-based architecture enables line-of-sight communications to enable flight test engineers to reconfigure test articles during mission. For example, the data recorder, camera sources, parameters, and image downlink bit-rates can be modified remotely. The demo showcases Curtiss-Wright’s latest hardware, including high-speed DAUs, switches and recorders, and rugged IP cameras, and multi-mode transceivers.
The demonstration also highlights Curtiss-Wright’s ability to serve as a one-stop FTI system solution provider, with its ability to provide customers with the full range of interoperable DAS system products. The demo shows how Curtiss-Wright’s Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) approach to FTI system integration is ideal for meeting the design challenges unique to flight test programs, easing the adoption of modern Ethernet networks, remote nodes, and wireless topologies that make system installation simpler and quicker. For flight test engineers, one of the most daunting challenges is defining an FTI system that can be developed and installed quickly, can collect data reliably on every single test flight, and also provides the level of modularity and flexibility needed to easily adapt to evolving requirements, both during and after the development cycle. This COTS FTI approach speeds the integration of test applications while lowering program costs and schedule risks.
“We are very proud to showcase our next generation FTI system architecture, combining our industry-leading networked from ground to air capabilities with an unmatched range of proven, leading FTI technologies, all working together in one integrated system,” said Lynn Bamford, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Curtiss-Wright Defense Solutions division. “This fully integrated system approach enables flight test customers to, for the first time, acquire a complete, future proof system solution from a single supplier.”
The Next Generation “Networked from Ground to Air” FTI System Demo will include:
- Axon DAU
- One of the industry’s most powerful, compact DAU
- 1 Gbps dedicated link to each module – 500 Mbps over the backplane proven already (unique in a compact rugged DAU)
- Remote mountable modules with 10 m link distance
- iNET, DARV3, Chap 10, iNET-X, IENA all supported
- TTC MnDAU
- Compatible with next-generation AXON DAU
- Support for TMNS data format
- Wide range of modules and capabilities
- NSW-12GT Rugged 12-Port Airborne Ethernet Switch
- Gigabit Ethernet (GbE)
- Supports IEEE-1588v2 and IEEE-1588v1 time synchronization protocols
- -Time synchronizes all nodes of the network including future, current, and legacy equipment
- ADSR Advanced-Data Server and Recorder
- Multiple 1GbE ports capable of recording to two media at 75 MBps each
- Records video data directly in addition to all Ethernet traffic
- Rugged Cameras
- Complete infrastructure to support many synchronized cameras for data recording and low-bitrate telemetry transmission
- Network IP Camera
- H.264 or H.265 encoded video is captured directly onto the network
- Multiband Transmitter
- L, S & C-Band in one unit
- Ultra-high efficiency and LDPC and Space-Time Configuration available (including a combined configuration)
- Network Gateway
- Combines CH7 and CH4 data for maximum bitrate efficiency when combing asynchronous and synchronous data.
- Can cherry-pick data from all generations of Curtiss-Wright’s Ethernet DAUs
- iNET and Control
- TNMS compatible Bi-directional Ethernet link
- Control and reconfigure hardware e.g. Change frequency of transmitters, Switch video streams, recorder control
- Ground Station Receiver
- Pairs with the Multiband Transmitter
- Diversity Branch Selector
- Configuration Software
- One software to configure entire system
- Ground Station Software
- Ground system to view Ethernet, CH4 and CH7 data
The Benefits of Complete DAU System Solutions
Axon DAU systems are easy to integrate and expand. Multiple Axon modules can be integrated into a single Axon chassis. The Axon chassis, Axon user modules, and Axonite remote housing are designed to work with Curtiss-Wright’s TTC DAU and KAM-500 DAU family of products, including high-speed cameras, data recorders, and switches. Axon DAUs provide the most powerful and modern solution on the market by combining unprecedented flexibility with outstanding reliability for demanding applications. Axon modules and chassis, now available in 6, 9, and 16-slot configurations, enable FTI engineers to quickly configure and deploy the vast amounts of data acquisition required to support demanding flight test, missile test, and space developmental/operation flight instrumentation programs. Ideal for use in flight test, system monitoring, power system upgrades, or life extension programs.
About the Curtiss-Wright Aerospace Instrumentation Group
In 2017, Curtiss-Wright integrated its Dublin business unit (Ireland) with the Teletronics Technology Corporation business unit (based in Newtown, Pennsylvania), to form the Industry’s broadest and most experienced single source for customers of commercial and defense aerospace instrumentation system solutions. With the merger of the two business units, Curtiss-Wright now supports more aerospace flight test customers, platforms, and programs than any other competitor around the world. What’s more, with its increased resources and global reach, the Company is able to significantly expand the availability of its unmatched quality and customer support, while bringing even larger system-level solutions to market.
About Curtiss-Wright Corporation
Curtiss-Wright Corporation is a global innovative company that delivers highly engineered, critical function products and services to the commercial, industrial, defense and energy markets. Building on the heritage of Glenn Curtiss and the Wright brothers, Curtiss-Wright has a long tradition of providing reliable solutions through trusted customer relationships. The company employs approximately 8,600 people worldwide. For more information, visit www.curtisswright.com.
Note: All trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Director of Public Relations
John Wranovics has over thirty years of experience in managing media relations and the promotion of high technology products. He has been with Curtiss-Wright since 2003. He has a degree in English Literature from the University of California, Berkeley.