Curtiss-Wright Adds Support for Wind River® VxWorks MILS Platform on Multi-core Power® Architecture VPX SBC
November 16, 2012 | BY: John WranovicsDownload PDF
ASHBURN, VA - November 16, 2012 - Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions (CWCDS), a business group of Curtiss-Wright Controls, announces that Wind River® VxWorks® MILS Platform, Multi-core Edition now supports Curtiss-Wright Controls's high performance, multi-core processor-based VPX6-187 single board computer (SBC). The MILS (Multiple Independent Levels of Security) infrastructure enables cost-effective development of MLS (Multilevel Secure) and CDS (Cross Domain Solutions) systems that can process classified data at multiple levels or from multiple domains simultaneously, including downgraders, filters, guards, and other cross-domain applications. The new board support package (BSP), developed and available from Wind River for use with Curtiss-Wright Controls's VPX architecture-based VPX6-187, can ease and speed the integration of MILS into deployed, rugged, multi-core systems, providing increased secure processing capabilities in applications with size, weight and power (SWaP) constraints.
"We are pleased that Wind River is now supporting VxWorks MILS Platform on our industry leading VPX6-187 single board computer,"said Lynn Bamford, vice president and general manager of Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions. "The VxWorks MILS Platform will provide our mutual customers with significant reduction in time to deployment and future cost-of-change for security-critical systems."
"This embedded MILS solution will speed the development and integration of secure deployed systems,"said Chip Downing, senior director, aerospace and defense, Wind River. "By leveraging Eclipse-based, multi-core aware software tools and existing VxWorks-, Linux-, and open source-based IP on VxWorks and Wind River Linux Guest OSs, MILS developers using VxWorks MILS Platform can expect to reduce time-to-market, integration effort and certification costs, while exploiting the performance benefits enabled by the multi-core QorIQ P4080 processor on board the VPX6-187."
The VxWorks MILS Platform, Multi-core Edition Features:
- High assurance security, from the VxWorks MILS separation kernel built to conform to the U.S. Government Protection Profile for Separation Kernels in Environments Requiring High Robustness, version 1.03 (SKPP) and for system-level evaluation under Common Criteria .
- High performance and scalability, through use of an embedded, Type 1 hypervisor-based separation kernel and a powerful two-level scheduler architecture.
- High assurance application support, using the High Assurance Environment runtime, for user components including applications, middleware, and drivers that may require high assurance evaluation.
- Re-use of VxWorks, Linux, or open source IP, using VxWorks Guest OS or Wind River Linux Guest OS support.
- Development life cycle tools support from the Eclipse-based Wind River Workbench development suite, for hardware bring-up via JTAG or other connection, platform and application development, agent-based debugging and JTAG-based On-Chip Debugging (OCD), test, and deployment
- Configuration and build partitioning, based on RTCA DO-297, to enable reduction of development, integration, and certification time and costs as well as the costs for updates, upgrades, and maintenance.
- Complementary partner middleware support for VxWorks MILS from Wind River partners in VxWorks 6.9 Guest OS, including Ada, Java, and DDS.
- Support for PAMU, FMAN, BMAN, QMAN, and PME hardware features of the QorIQ P4080 processor on board the VPX6-187.
- Supported by Wind River Professional Services, experienced in MILS architecture design, MILS platform customization and augmentation, MILS BSP production, secure application and system design, and evaluation and certification support.
About the VPX6-187
VPX6-187 is Curtiss-Wright's first single board computer based on Freescale®'s eight-core QorIQ™ P4080 Communications Processor. This rugged, high performance 6U VPX general purpose SBC supports the eight Power Architecture™ processor cores (up to 1.5 GHz each) with high-performance datapath acceleration logic, network and peripheral bus interfaces. The VPX6-187 is designed to leverage the flexibility, security enhancements and rich feature set of the QorIQ P4080 processor to provide a trusted computing environment, including support for trusted and secure boot and encryption/decryption (SEC 4.0) in harsh military and aerospace applications.
VPX6-187 Performance Features:
- Freescale QorIQ P4080
- Up to 8 e500mc Cores running up to 1.5 GHz
- Up to 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM controlled by dual 64-bit controllers
- Full complement of I/O capability (Ethernet, SCSI, serial, USB 2.0, MIL-STD-1553, Serial ATA, TTL and differential discrete I/O)
- VPX/VPX-REDI formats with four 4-lane fabric ports, port selectability between either Serial RIO or PCI Express Gen 2
- VxWorks 6.x BSP and Driver Suite supporting Workbench 3.x IDE, Wind River Linux 4.2 BSP and Driver suite
- Continuum Software Architecture (CSA) firmware providing a comprehensive suite of system debug, exerciser, and update functions, BIT, and non-volatile memory sanitization function
- Designed for military/aerospace harsh-environment applications, both air- and conduction-cooled
- Supports trusted and secure boot and encryption/decryption (SEC 4.0)
- Pin Compatible with Curtiss-Wright Controls's VPX6-185 SBC
For availability and pricing information, please contact the factory.
Click here for more information on the VPX6-187.
Sales & Editorial Contacts
For editorial information regarding Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions products or services, contact John Wranovics, public relations director, Curtiss-Wright Controls, Tel: (925) 640-6402; email. email@example.com.
About Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions
Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions (CWCDS) is a long established technology leader in the development of rugged electronic modules and systems for defense applications. CWCDS serves as a technology and integration partner to its customers, providing a full range of advanced, highly engineered solutions from modular open systems approaches to fully custom optimized solutions. Our unmatched capabilities and product breadth span from industry standard based COTS modules to complete electronic subsystems. The company's modules and systems are currently deployed in a wide range of demanding defense & aerospace applications including C4ISR systems, unmanned subsystems, mission computing, fire control, turret stabilization, and recording & storage solutions. Additionally, the company's broad engineering capabilities combine systems, software, electrical, and mechanical design expertise with comprehensive program management and a broad range of life-cycle support services. For more information visit http://www.cwcdefense.com.
About Curtiss-Wright Controls, Inc.
Headquartered in Charlotte, NC, Curtiss-Wright Controls is the Motion Control segment of Curtiss-Wright Corporation. With manufacturing facilities around the world, Curtiss-Wright Controls is a leading technology-based organization providing niche motion control products, subsystems and services internationally for the aerospace and defense markets.
NOTE: All trademarks are property of their respective owners