Space data acquisition systems and onboard data handling
Space applications typically put considerable stresses on space data handling due to the harsh environmental conditions and in particular because of the effects of radiation. Mitigating against these effects can be expensive but increasing commercial pressures are putting focus on keeping costs to a minimum for space missions. At the same time, there are various installation challenges that demand flexible systems.
Curtiss-Wright has a well proven range of data acquisition, video and transmission products that create Space COTS, radiation tolerant COTS and radiation hardened systems. By combining COTS savings with innovative radiation tolerant strategies, systems can be built that meet the needs of the mission at a significantly lower cost (by up to 75%).
The use of Smart Backplane design allows you to meet your Mission Assurance requirements without the high NRE and costs associated with radiation hardened designs. Additionally, custom modules can help lower weight by removing the need for separate avionics boxes while the ability to turn modules on and off allows you to efficiently manage power budgets.
This approach is proven on multiple Space applications including EASA Vega-C, NASA Orion SLS & CRV, Boeing CST-100, SpaceX Falcon 9 and Dragon, ESA IXV, ULA Delta V and Rocketlab Electron.
Space COTS Data Acquisition
Curtiss-Wright's space qualified COTS use highly ruggedized modular systems developed for the demanding flight test environment for use in space applications that balance low cost with high reliability. More>
- Highly rugged, compact and low power design
- Robust finite state machine architecture
- Synchronous sampling of all sensors across the network
Radiation Tolerant Space Data Acquisition
The Smart Backplane chassis are rugged chassis that have been designed specifically with space-related data acquisition, data processing and recording in mind. More>
- Backplane designed using Rad Hard components allowing re-use of COTS plug-in modules, minimizing cost
- Minimizes power consumption through different mission stages
- Detects SELs and corrects for normal operation, ensuring reliability
Radiation Hardened Data Acquisition
A more rugged version of COTS data acquisition products have been developed for use in Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) for distributed installation on satellites and other mission critical operational flight instrumentation. More>
- Designed to meet specific time reliability requirement of space missions
- Meets the requirements of high radiation space applications
- Designed to operate to specification after failures of components